Sunday 9 October 2011

Sweet Potato


Sweet Potato Vine

I found some sweet potato plants in a garden centre and put them into my plot - it was fairly late on but I wanted to see what would happen. They're looking healthy but frost is just around the corner and as they originate in tropical and sub-tropical climes I imagine they'll die. In a few days time I'll dig them up and see if there's any sign of tubers. As the vines haven't spread far I think the tubers, if any, will be very small.

It's apparently quite easy to grow shoots from a sweet potato which can then be planted so I'm going to try that next year. If we have as much warm weather in 2012 as in 2011 I just might get a crop! 

After reading some forum posts on the subject I'll also use an organic tuber as often tubers are treated so that they don't sprout, for longer storage.

No comments:

Post a Comment