Wednesday 5 October 2011

Courgette Soup - Late Growing Season


October and still growing!



Courgettes I picked yesterday.

Yesterday, October 4th, I picked courgettes! It's been so warm that my plants are still flowering and producing fruits. What a bonus! The plants are outdoors and usually it would be too cold, even frosty, for them to survive and I would have pulled them up - in fact I almost did last week, then I saw fresh leaves and decided to give them a few more days.

When my girls were small they wouldn't eat courgettes so I began to make courgette soup which I served up as 'Green Soup' - they loved it!! Sometimes there is something in a name.

Courgette Soup

2 large or 3-4 smaller courgette, washed
1 large peeled onion
1 organic chicken stock cube
freshly ground black pepper or mixed peppercorns
olive or vegetable oil


Chop the courgettes and onion and saute in a little oil.
Cover with water and crumble in the stock cube.
Bring to the boil and simmer until the vegetables are soft.
Take off the heat and allow to cool a little.
Blend  (a hand-held blender is easy, if you have one)
Season with the pepper.
Serve with bread of your choice and a swirl of cream or creme fraiche, if you fancy it.
Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment