Monday 24 October 2011

I'm Learning


Manure Heap!

The outside of my manure heap is hard and dry, I didn't get around to covering it with a tarpaulin and we've had drought for most of the year. When I dug into it on Saturday I was delighted to find that just beneath the surface all is moist and cake-like and looks even better that last year when my ton of 'well-rotted' was delivered. 

I now have a little more knowledge about where to use manure and won't be flinging it far and wide with the same gay abandon as last spring. There will be more serious planning this time with the needs of various crops taken into account along with exactly where they're going to be put. This first year has been haphazard and experimental but has produced enough successes to whet my appetite for more.

Having had time to observe the planting on neighbouring plots I can see that I've wasted good growing space. I'm trying rows this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment