Wednesday 11 April 2012

Spring Greens


An update...


...on my Spring Hero...


...cabbages.

The hearts are developing nicely in these cabbages but I'm not going to make the mistake I made with the Greyhound cabbages last Spring. I waited until they were fully grown but then we could not use them all before they 'went over' and split.

I've cut three Heroes already, even though they are not fully developed. They make lovely spring greens and hopefully none will be wasted this time. 


This purple sprouting broccoli cooks very quickly and is sweetly delicious. One of my five plants has been badly affected by whitefly but the other four have produced plenty of spears - enough to share.


This male blackbird was enjoying a puddle in the tarpaulin, while a female made visit after visit to my plot to fill her beak with grubs and caterpillars, before flying off to a nearby garden.


No comments:

Post a Comment