Friday 6 April 2012

New Season's Rhubarb


New seasons rhubarb...


...it's colossal!

I've already pulled 8 stems from this clump of rhubarb - and given them away! Rhubarb crumble is going to be on my Easter Sunday menu. The stalks from this particular clump are enormous already, despite the lack of rainfall. Perhaps the application of manure in the autumn has helped. 

I'll be up at the allotment tomorrow to harvest some. I inherited the rhubarb plants from the previous tenant - it makes up in part for all the weeds I had to clear and the loss of topsoil. Other allotment holders have told me that the top soil on this allotment was removed twice as a quick way of weeding! Consequently my allotment is lower than the surrounding ones and, considering the massively overgrown weediness of it when I took it on, removing the topsoil was only a temporary quick-fix. 

No comments:

Post a Comment