Wednesday 21 September 2011

Pickled Red Onion Slices - I hope!

After making Sweet Pickled Cucumber Slices I had some spiced vinegar mixture left - it had reduced down to a syrup.


Not wanting to waste it, I sliced a large red onion very finely, layered it in the colander, sprinkling salt on each layer and left it for a few hours (3 at least) to leach out excess liquid from the onion.


I then warmed the syrup, added the onion slices and brought to the boil; simmered for 1 minute and tipped the whole lot into a sterilised jar (prepared in the oven as in my Tuesday 20th September post in Sue's Musings).


As the vinegar syrup was already reduced no further boiling was needed.


I now have Sweet Pickled Red Onion Slices! After they've had a month to mature I'll find out if it was worth doing!

No comments:

Post a Comment