Wednesday 30 November 2011

This Year, Next Year


Mustard - Green Manure

The mustard is looking pretty good now. According to the seed packet it will die off with the frost and form a 'beneficial, protective mulch' which I'll dig into the soil in the Spring. Next year I'm going to try red clover - I suppose you can grow green manures at any time of year if you've a patch of ground with nothing to go in it?

I bought sugar snap peas and dwarf beans today ready for next year. I'm growing the dwarf beans instead of broad beans because, even though they're home-grown, no-one in the family likes eating broad beans - but they were still fun to grow and grew well. I've got some in the freezer and I slip them into soups and risottos etc. Without their tough, outer coat they really are a marvellous bright green.

No comments:

Post a Comment